## Establishing clear structure / naming to HOP proposals

Abstract

Proposing changes to how proposals on hop forum are structured

Motivation

To make proposals easy and clear to understand / go through for delegates and people both from inside & outside the HOP ecosystem. This should help to bring down voter apathy and save time of anyone going through the proposals.

Rationale

Clear uniform structure and nomenclature help people not to get lost in the forum and navigate through proposals more easily. Drawing here on the lessons learned / processes of Ethereum community and their EIP process.

Changes proposed

• Hop Ecosystem category
    • Change category name
      • “Hop Ecosystem” → “HIP - Hop Improvement proposals” (or something in this spirit, including word “proposal” )
        • rationale
          • The category name is vague, does not communicate clearly that it is for Proposals’ discussion
    • Give clear structure + naming to proposals
      • Proposal Naming - < HIP number>, <Category(Core, Integrations, Funding, Governance)>, <title(describe proposal in few words)>,

• e.g. - HIP 1, Governance, Establish uniform Proposal structure
      • Proposal Structure - Follow ethereum EIP sturcture, omit unnecessary fields if do not apply to proposal link

• Create pinned post in Hop Ecosystem category, giving Proposal template + guidelines for creating proposal

• Meta-Governance category
      • Create a new pinned posted with titie / subtitle “Delegates / Voters Guideline”
        • Rationale: To have one go to place / document for delegates from where they can start
        • The content of this post are outlined below(Checklist for delegates), and are subject to change, in order be be always clear, short and relevant.

Checklist for delegates

check overview of governance process

Community Governance Process

track proposals’ discussion

Go to hop forum preferences link and select as Watched / Tracked categories -“Hop Ecosystem”, “Events”

vote / track voting

snapshot - coming soon
tally - link

Feedback needed

Please let me know what you think of these proposed changes to the Proposal process / forum, which points make sense and elaborate on different points here, if the temperature check after a discussion is to go through in this spirit I can drive this change / create the HIP template post.

4 Likes

I think these change make a lot of sense. The “HIP” naming convention will make it easier to reference proposals and the “XIP” convention is becoming a DAO standard. A "HIP - Hop Improvement proposals” category for the forum is much more clear than “Hop Ecosystem”. Lastly, a delegate checklist post will be a meaningful step towards better delegate engagement.

If the temperature check passes, could you create the “Checklist for delegates” post as well and an admin can pin it?

1 Like

Category for funding

Also, I was thinking that there could be separate category for funding requests, as this has nothing to do with the protocol itself, but seems it would deserve category on it’s own based on the volume of requests on the forum.
Would propose name - “HRF - Hop Request for Funding”

Here you mean changes to the way DAO is run / structered or requests for funding as well?

Think that general apathy about this kind of the things seems to be the name of the game here, I would not presume more engagement on this topic. I can create the post and you can pin it afterwards, let me know.

2 Likes

We should open up a broader discussion about a Hop grants program soon that this could tie into. Sounds like a good idea though. I do see merit in the simplicity of every proposal being a HIP even though some proposals may not seem like “improvement proposals” too though.

I was just referring to the “-IP” naming convention catching on but a separate naming convention for funding requests could make sense too.

At least it’s a step in the right direction. :smile:

1 Like