Apply as a Hop DAO Delegate

Thanks for your interest in becoming a Hop governance delegate and helping shape the multichain future!

If you have any questions about the process feel free to hop in the Hop discord and ask.

Important Note: You only need to submit yourself as a delegate if you want to appear in the list of delegates shown when Hop users claim their tokens. You do not need to submit a delegate profile if you only want to claim your airdrop, or if you only intend to delegate your voting power to yourself!
The cutoff date for applications is June 7th at 23:59:59 UTC. If you submit your application after this date, users will still be able to delegate their votes to you manually but your profile won’t show up in the default delegate list.

Delegates are not awarded extra tokens for being delegates.
It is encouraged to set-up an on-chain profile with ENS as part of the application process as this worked well for other DAOs and it makes it easy for Hop users to look-up relevant information about each delegate.

Step 1: Reply to this forum thread using the following template:

ENS name:
My reasons for wanting to be a delegate:
My web3 qualifications / skills:
What voters can expect of me:

Step 2: Add the following text records to your ENS name:

Go to app.ens.domains , search for your name, ensure you have an ETH Address record set, and then set the following text records by clicking “ADD/EDIT RECORD“:

• “avatar”: an image URL (do NOT put OpenSea, Twitter, imgur URL or anything that is NOT an
    image url) or an NFT you own
  • “com.twitter”: your Twitter handle (optional)
  • “com.discord”: your Discord handle (optional)
  • Any other field that you want! Email, URL, description, etc, anything to share about yourself with the Hop community (optional)

Once all records are entered, scroll down and click “Confirm” to save it to the blockchain.

Step 3: Set your Primary ENS Name

Make sure you have set your Primary ENS Name (formerly Reverse Record) to the ENS name you posted on the forum. Do this at app.ens.domains > My Account.

…and you’re done!

That’s it! You’re all set to become a Hop delegate. Start publicizing your delegation to get support from the community.

Good luck for your campaign! :rabbit:

10 Likes

ENS name: robopunkceo.eth

My reasons for wanting to be a delegate: I want to give back my years of experience in the crypto space. Been there, done basically everything, still amazed at the progress being made.

My web3 qualifications / skills: Skilled software engineer by day (> 20 years of experience), crypto enthusiast by night.

What voters can expect of me: I will respectfully use your voting power to bring hop forward in the future. Hop was not the first, but is the best bridge, regarding user experience and functionality. I will do my best to keep it at that and earn my respect of the community :muscle:.

4 Likes

**ENS name: mortea.eth

**My reasons for wanting to be a delegate: I hope I can be deeply involved in a great Web3 project, because working with some great people on a great project, I will gain more knowledge and skills, and it will be a great help for my personal development in the future. At the same time, I love and agree with the governance style and concept of Hop’s project. I believe that participating in Hop DAO will bring me unexpected things.

**My web3 qualifications / skills: I’m new to DEFI, although I’ve been in the crypto space since 2019. Before entering and participating in HopDAO, I also accumulated and learned some community governance experience in other communities, such as options, DEX, cross-chain bridge, etc.

**What voters can expect of me:if I become a Hop Delegate, I will try my best to fulfill my responsibilities in the community:

1. listen to community members
  2. Help new members who don’t understand the project
  3. Eliminate trash content that is harmful to the community
  4. Share with everyone every specific event that happened during the development of the project
  5. Learn, grow, and improve with community members.
4 Likes

ENS name:
blockchaincolumbia.eth
BlockchainatColumbia would like to continue to develop its Defi Governance arm, which currently includes Compound Finance, Uniswap, and Dydx. As a university blockchain organization, we believe governance forums are one of the best ways to foster active learning in web-3.
BlockchainatColumbia is a student-run Blockchain club. We are a registered non-profit and aim to facilitate an environment where students can engage with ideas in blockchain, develop into the leading minds of web3, and make some friends along the way. We are governed by Lion DAO, the first student DAO launched last summer.
As a Hop DAO delegate, BlockchainatColumbia will be sure to be an active member across the Hop DAO forums. Also, we believe cross-chain bridging will continue to be a growing sector in web-3, especially among newer participants, which is why we consider ourselves strong contenders to provide valuable insight to Hop DAO.

5 Likes

ENS name:
Lawyered.eth

I am a crypto lawyer and I like to get very involved in the projects that I am excited about, as more than just a hobby, to make new friends, and expand my mind.

I am an adept blockchain user. My skills lie in the legal aspects of crypto including DAO creation and governance and securities law as it applies to crypto. I am doxxed, and therefore can be trusted even with critical tasks. I advise several large crypto VC’s and projects, I am a Polkadot ambassador, and an Acala Senior Ambassador.

As a Hop DAO delegate, I will be very involved in the various initiatives that will become available, and in doing so will become well acquainted with the other people involved in the protocol. Through this I will be an approachable way for the community to have their voices heads by the right people.

4 Likes

ENS Name: gfxlabs.eth
Email: [email protected]
Twitter: @labsgfx

Our Reasons for Wanting to be a Delegate:

GFX Labs is committed to helping protocols grow and evolve across the DeFi ecosystem. The current landscape of protocols, DAOs, and protocol governance is extremely nascent, and experienced hands like those of the GFX team are scarce.

The GFX team is comprised of heavy DeFi users, regular governance participants, and core community members of various protocols. While our predominant experience has been with Compound, Uniswap, and MakerDAO, we are excited to become involved with the Hop DAO.

What Voters Can Expect from GFX Labs:
We look forward to leveraging our learnings from other protocols and the deep relationships our team has fostered across DeFi, TradFi, governments, and academics.

GFX has a record of rolling up our sleeves and getting work done. The GFX team has authored half of all successful proposals on Uniswap (including the first cross-chain governance proposal), listed multiple assets and developed the price oracle on Compound, and led efforts at MakerDAO to interface with regulators, lawmakers, and outside researchers. We actively work to find mutual benefits for protocols we cover to collaborate – such as the soon-to-be deployed DAI Direct Deposit Module for MakerDAO to plug directly into Compound.

Delegation to GFX Labs is a delegation to a governance team that is one of the most experienced in DeFi, able to facilitate partnerships, and with a track record of consistent engagement and delivery of results.

GFX Labs isn’t a fund. We don’t hold positions. We are a team of builders who love DeFi. Our participation in governance is rooted in a desire to see DeFi overtake legacy finance. We promise to be active participants. We’ll explain not only when we agree, but most importantly, when we disagree. As first-hand participants in governance, we know how frustrating it is to work on a proposal, receive limited comments, only to have the proposal shot down at launch. Our door will always be open to those who share the passion for DeFi that we have.

Conflicts of Interest
GFX Labs may from time to time be engaged as a delegate on other protocols. All governance participation is public and done through the same wallet.

5 Likes

ENS name: mrly8621.eth

My reasons for wanting to be a delegate: Because hope for hop, that’s all

**My web3 qualifications / skills:**Familiar with translation articles, participate in Dao development, discuss schemes, publish and sort out forms.

What voters can expect of me: I will try my best to balance the project and the community, so as to achieve win-win results, so that the project can move in the same direction;

3 Likes

ENS name: parhamgharavaisi.eth

I strongly believe that the future of Blockchain & Web3 is cross-chain rather than multi-chain and as such, projects that facilitate interoperability between chains such as bridges play a key role in setting up and maintaining the infrastructure required for cross-chain interoperability. I have a vast interest in and am deeply committed to participating in Hop Governance and contributing to the project in general.

• Writer
  • Investor
  • Translator
  • Musical Artist
  • Avid DeFi user
  • NFT enthusiast
  • Early adopter of Blockchain (pre-2017)
  • Bachelor’s degree in English Literature
  • Associate’s degree in Computer Science

As a delegate, I shall do my utmost to drive the project forward in line with the interest of the community which includes but is not limited to active participation in governance, expenditure, decision-making and strategy as well as the community as a whole.

5 Likes

ENS name: yarg.eth

My reasons for wanting to be a delegate: I want to help the hop protocol grow, and I also want to grow my knowledge with a group of like-minded individuals. I think that being a delegate would help the hop protocol out a lot as well as myself.

My web3 qualifications / skills: I have been studying cryptocurrency since 2016. I have been in the game for a long time now. Over the past couple of years, I have just began to start developing on Ethereum using Solidity, TypeScript, and other frontend languages. I have a little bit of DAO governance experience, and I am experienced in technical analysis of tokens. I would say that NFT’s are my greatest strength in crypto right now - every aspect of it.

What voters can expect of me: Voters can count on me being an active and trustworthy member of the community. They can count on me using my voting power to do what is best for the protocol. Lastly, the can count on me to bring the community valuable insight and perspective.

3 Likes

ENS name: richardchen.eth

I’ve contributed a lot to the Hop community since the product launched and would love to continue the work I’ve been doing by being a delegate to the Hop DAO.

• I built the Hop Dune dashboard that has 111 stars and counting.
  • I’ve been an early liquidity provider for Hop. One of the largest whales actually back when Polygon was incentivizing $MATIC for the Hop Polygon pools.
  • For several months I was running the ETH bonder for Hop.
  • I’ve shilled the Hop product on Twitter.

I’m a general partner at 1confirmation, which we were the lead investor in the seed round of Authereum (before the pivot to Hop) back in Jan 2020.

I’m on the DAO multisig for Nexus Mutual and Notional.

Participating in every Snapshot/on-chain governance vote and being responsive to the Hop community on product feedback, governance proposals, and treasury spending.

9 Likes

ENS: flipsidecrypto.eth

Why apply as a delegate:

At Flipside Crypto, our mission is to help grow the orgs building the new digital economy. We believe that Hop, as a secure, trustless, and decentralized bridge is a core piece of Ethereum infrastructure.

Flipside Governance participates in a myriad of protocols across major L1s - Ethereum, Terra, Solana, Algorand, and Flow. We work closely with DAOs such as Aave, Maker, Anchor, SushiSwap, Astroport, Marinade, and OlympusDAO. We aim to bring this expertise and a full-time Governance team to Hop to improve its governance and voting processes.

As we look to expand our data capabilities to L2s, Hop is a key resource for users transacting across multiple scaling platforms and pursuing an intuitive UX.

By becoming a Hop delegate Hop gains access to the resources of Flipside Crypto, a 70+ strong team, robust data capabilities, and our community of 12,000+ analysts.

Flipside Crypto’s qualifications & skills:

Flipside is a Web3 company with experience building tools, communities, and recently DAOs. We partner with major L1s to drive data analytics and on-board new users to these networks.

Flipside Governance, a department of Flipside Crypto, was established in September 2021, to directly support and contribute to governance, and drive participation in our partner communities - thereby helping to improve the efficiency of this critical piece of protocol health.

We are committed to using this team and experience to improve DAOs one proposal at a time.

We are one of the few full-time governance teams in the industry. We have developed a deep understanding of the needs and of the flow of information in governance processes as well as key tooling necessary to be successful.

A few of our highlights:

What voters can expect of Flipside Governance:

By entrusting us as delegates, we aim to represent the views of a wide range of users and provide unique analytics to justify our decisions. Together with the Hop community, we can create a stronger product by driving innovation for Hop DAO.

Flipside Governance will:

• Constantly monitor votes and participation
  • Engage in open discussion and contribute to the DAO forum and Discord
  • Be transparent about when we vote and how we vote
  • Have a shared commitment to the future success of Hop Protocol

Conflicts of Interest:

As individuals and as a team we are involved in a range of communities and DAOs across the Web3 ecosystem. Our investors include Dapper Labs, Terra, Republic Capital.

8 Likes

ENS name: dybsy.sismo.eth

My reasons for wanting to be a delegate: I would like to champion the community’s interests in a directive and passionate way. I believe I will be able to draw on my many years of experience in multiple levels of courts and tribunals—across varied jurisdictions—to be a zealous advocate for all Hop bunnies.

My web3 qualifications / skills: I am not a coder, or developer, or an engineer, but I am well equipped to navigate risk and policy, and to apply critical and disciplined thought and assessment to all manners of issues, simple and complex. Further, I have been a blockchain citizen since I registered my account with Mt Gox in 2013, and to that end I will bring years of hands-on experience to every decision. In addition to the technical and practical skills I offer, I am also a published science fiction and fantasy writer, and in that regard I am extremely creative and have a flare for the dramatic.

What voters can expect of me: Objective, rational, and measured assessments. Responsiveness. Timeliness. Patience. And, above all, commitment to the Hop Protocol and its best interests. I have been here from the beginning, shouting for all to hear, “Can’t stop the bunny.” I mean it.

5 Likes

Case Against delegating to Organisations

“I have much stronger confidence in a promise of a mafia boss than a well meaning social worker”(paraphrasing N. N. Taleb)
Why? Mafia don is giving promises on behalf of himself, has his goodwill and reputation at stake, the latter of which is a very important asset in mafia business and in life in general. A social worker acts on behalf of an organization whose decisions he rarely influences or controls. Even in a case he can have influence over those things, he has no reputation at stake.

Even thought we like to anthropomorphize organizations and often think of them as of people they have no conscience, shame, compassion and other basic feelings that tend to make humans behave much nicer to other humans than they would if they were strictly rational agents (easily observed when compared online vs offline interactions of the same people). It’s no coincidence that psychopathy and sociopathy is more prevalent in higher management than in staff and lower management, since they can be more ruthful and effective. The point being that organizations have only incentives and no moral inhibitions that would keep them in check.

Currently we are in a quite happy early days since crypto is still full of early enthusiasts whose primary motivation is not money. Many companies are currently lead by founders who are value driven, passionate about self sovereignty, decentralization and building a better world. Many organizations reflect these values, but as crypto continues become more mainstream it will also become more incentive driven and less value driven. Main company incentive is profit, which is neither good nor bad, but I would not want to have delegates who are profit seeking automatons, which all companies move towards.
Google also started with “don’t be evil” slogan which currently seems laughable, but there is no reason to believe it wasn’t genuine belief of the founders. The founders though are long gone (as all will eventually be) and if the whole business model of company is built on selling ads, it’s hard to avoid the scenario where it is harvesting users for data and attention. Any CEO who would want to go against it would be quickly replaced by someone who can better act in the company interest of profit maximization.

It is theoretically possible to have organizations whose incentives are set up in a way that they are incentivized to be promoting the values they claim to be promoting. This is the spirit of web3 that we try to design better systems to avoid “negative externalities” of trad companies but still have long way to go.

Delegates indorsed by organisations

I would much rather see individuals “endorsed by” organisations than organisations themselves. It is clear that the person currently represents their values, but acts under his name and has his reputation at stake.

2 Likes

@0xhoratius thanks for your concern - I’ll take a stab at replying as it seems your comment was aimed at ourselves (Flipside) and GFX Labs. I’ll attempt to be nice too :wink:

When delegating to an organization, the resources are insurmountable. Individuals can not monitor the same spread of delegations (develop cross-network context), handle operational responsibilities, such as voting, or rely on the same range of subject matter expertise. We have Soliditiy devs, financial analysts, Rust devs, anons, NFT whales, and frens on a “DAO” team. With this comes our individual networks and personal passions.

As an individual, I am a reviewer at Aave Grants, Transferability Committee for Paladin, and do contract work for a crypto-native HFT fund out of Sydney Australia.

My reputation is at stake - and am making decisions based on experience and values.

Also funny we should be taking advice about accountability and reputation on public forums from an anon account, but I digress.

I would remind you of the mission and business model of Flipside Crypto - we pay users to learn about the blockchain and protocols like hop. Nor are we Google - we are a private company with dope humans.

Our revenue comes from Major L1s - I am not quite sure how this is a threat to Hop. Making crypto bigger, easier, and seamless via products like bridges benefits us both.

We stand by our decision to apply as delegates and welcome users who entrust us with their votes.

2 Likes

:sparkles: :purple_circle: _ :purple_circle: :sparkles: “serious business” :sparkles: :purple_circle: _ :purple_circle: :sparkles:

ENS name: ceresbzns.eth

• Hop protocol is one of the most secure, Ethereum-aligned bridging solutions in the space today. This offers a unique opportunity for Hop to become core infrastructure to the rollup-centric universe of future Ethereum. I would like to use my skills and experience to represent community members who want a strong, consistent voice advocating for sustainability, security, and decentralization.

• Experienced DAO contributor, specializing in treasury management, governance, tokeconomics, and DeFi
  • Core contributor to DAOhaus, a free and open-source platform for purpose-driven communities to create secure, accessible Moloch DAOs for on-chain governance
  • Currently also working with Wildfire (Fire Eyes metagovernance collective), Raid Guild (web3 mercenaries), and the Gnosis Chain Innovation DAO (Gnosis Chain grants)
  • Actively contributing to network security by operating nodes for the Gnosis Beacon Chain and Ethereum Beacon Chain as a solo validator
  • Deep understanding and extensive familiarity with DeFi protocols across the Ethereum ecosystem (active as a liquidity provider across many EVM-compatible chains, including Arbitrum, Optimism, Gnosis Chain, Polygon, Avalanche, Fantom)
  • Prior 10 years of experience in software product management in web2

• Sober, well-reasoned analyses grounded in available evidence
  • Strong commitment to the values of decentralization, transparency, and equity
  • Long-term thinking, prioritizing sustainability and security for the protocol and ecosystem
  • Open communication

Feel free to reach out to me on Discord or TG to say hello : )

:sparkles: :purple_circle: _ :purple_circle: :sparkles: “serious business” :sparkles: :purple_circle: _ :purple_circle: :sparkles:

4 Likes

Thank you for the reply @fig and for keeping it civil. My message wasn’t directed at you in particular, we are establishing new social norms of governance and I believe this is an important one that is why I voiced my concern and provided reasoning. I have nothing against you, your compony nor doubt your sincerity.

I get your point that organisation have many resources to draw upon, thats what organisations are good at, but would you not have the same support if you applied a an individual on behalf of your organisation?
If the answer is yes, why do you have the need to apply on behalf of organisation? Can you really vouch for everyone who comes after you to represent the company?
If the answer is no and without representing your company you cannot draw on their resources, can you really vote in line with your values? What if there is a conflict between how you and your company want to vote? Can you vouch for the future values of your company after you are gone?

I have a background in crypto and other fields but the arguments I have presented should stand on their own not on my credentials. Credentials are good proxy for performance but don’t believe the strengths of an argument rests on how many degrees you have or how many startups you have sold.

Again, I didn’t make any attack on your company, nor doubt its good intentions and sincerity. The point I was making was that Google also started as a private company with dope humans, but companies are driven strictly by their incentives can and will be less and less idealistic as they mature and the original team leaves.

We are establishing here new norms of decentralized governance here, maybe in this particular case your company will be the bright outlier and continue to be only a good influence in the space for decades to come, but even if it is, it is still a precedence I would rather not see.

Would love to see people like you stepping up on behalf of your companies as individuals. Delegates still can make decisions in line with company values, be supported by them, but it removes one important attack vector. This being, the company changes management → changes values, but people who have delegated become mislead about their delegate.

3 Likes

After carefully observing the points outlined by @fig and @0xhoratius I’d like to present my own take on the issue of organization delegates and consolidation of power which I believe goes hand in hand with the problem of sybil resistance. But let me state my premises and address a few of the points mentioned above first.

From two very simple premises:

• The ethos of (Hop) DAO is to be as decentralized as possible, hence the D in the name
  • Consolidation of executive power reduces the decentralization of a DAO; the more unique entities hold executive power, the more decentralized a DAO is

We can conclude that:

• Sybil attackers compromise the decentralization of a DAO
  • Consolidation of executive power within the hands of a few entities could potentially(1) compromise the decentralization of a DAO
    (1) depending on the method of consolidation and how such executive power is used

The debate around delegation is a complex issue to discuss so I shall attempt to keep it as simple and short as possible while addressing the point brought up prior, but the challenge here is what constitutes as a unique entity (isn’t that the million dollar question?).

That is precisely the issue here and a major point of contention. It neither a matter of reputation nor competence but identity and how to correspond on-chain credentials (e.g. voting power) to a real person in a decentralized, anonymous and trustless manner which is yet another currently unsolved issue (or at least not fully solved problem). Answer me this please: how would you prove the following two in a TRUSTLESS manner: a) whether you represent n people controlling m on-chain credentials or m on-chain credentials controlled by n people? b) that the delegates align with the delegators

Looking at this from a DAO’s perspective, it is only a question of decentralization; once one entity gains 51% of the executive power, they are free to do as they please and nullify the rest and I am merely pointing out the possibility which is the risk here. “Collectives” are much more likely to seize that 51% than “individuals”, and by delegating to a collective we increase that risk. This is not about the benefits but rather than the (existential) risk this brings to the table. Once again, it boils down to the fundamental question of on-chain identity… What is a collective? What is an individual? And how do we map on-chain credentials to real people in a decentralized, anonymous and trustless manner? That problem should have been solved first before the conception of delegated proof of stake (dpos) and is an inherent existential risk to the entire idea.

It does not matter matter whether it’s an organization with majority delegation or a person, it’s just that we can take an educated guess that it is far more likely for an organization to become such than an individual. Consolidation of executive power poses an existential risk to decentralization of DAOs, and organizations are far more likely to succeed at doing so. We should treat the cause not the symptoms.

I would very much rather have no delegates and very few proposals and votes rather than a handful of delegates ending up with +51% of the executive power and imposing their vision (be it favorable or unfavorable) because that goes against the neutral spirit of decentralization. At this point, a DAO would just become an AO. Driving slowly towards an unknown and distant destination is better than ramming straight into a tree in my humble opinion. We need the issue of on-chain identity solved, and we need it solved swiftly first before we can have any fruitful discussion on DPOS/delegation.

As for me personally, I would neither delegate to any entity that publicly presents itself as an organization nor a person which owns a disproportionate amount of executive power already for the reasons I’ve explained above.

Best regards,

Hey, thanks for this perspective.

We believe in a world where organizations and individuals can co-exist as delegates.

Feels like this discussion may be best taken offline - or to another thread to allow other folks to apply. Happy to chat more if you are interested!

1 Like

ENS Name: perroud.eth
My reasons for wanting to be a delegate: I’m in crypto since 2014-2015 and I want to be more involved in this space, as I think I got some decent experience now. Why HOP? The fact that HOP supports Ethereum aligned L2’s is a strong signal of a project that cares about the values of the greater Ethereum ecosystem and it’s important for me, as I think HOP will be a critical piece of it. I’m also the owner of the hop_alert twitter account, a bot that tweets about big transactions on HOP.

My web3 qualifications / skills: Python, Ruby, DEFI user, Ethereum wallets…

What voters can expect of me: 1.Vote in the best interest of all 2.Won’t quit during bear markets [was there in 2014-15 and 2018-19]

4 Likes

ENS name: snxambassador.eth

The Synthetix community is made up of avid L2 users (namely on Optimism) and are also some of the earliest HOP protocol users. The interests of HOP and SNX are quite aligned when it comes to governance and ETH scaling solutions.

As Ambassadors we feel that we are well equipped to contribute to the improvement and maintenance of HOP protocol via governance and represent the Synthetix ecosystem in the HOP community as well. Synthetix is working on a protocol level integration with HOP, and SNX partner projects like Lyra already use HOP as the default bridge for their in app widget. The SNX Ambassadors play the role of governance participation on behalf of our community for many protocols and HOP governance would be yet another key place for us to be active in.

For the mentioned reasons we feel that we’d make great HOP Delegates and are excited to be a part of the future of HOP and it’s journey to bridge together many ETH scaling solutions!

The Synthetix Ambassador Council is comprised of three members who are signers on the snxambassador.eth multi-sig and we over see governance for many ecosystem protocols. We are currently active Delegates for several DeFi projects and have experience in submitting and deploying governance proposals and staying up to date on broader governance matters. We also have access to resources with in the Synthetix DAO for purposes of protocol integrations.

Our current signers, who’s twitter handles can be found on @snxambassadors profile bio, are made up of a combination of SNX Core Contributors and long time active Community members who are well versed in the operation of Synthetix and other DeFi/NFT projects.

We have a diverse set of skills that include Protocol/Governance analysis, user acquisition strategies, varying degrees of DeFi integrations, general marketing/communication skills and a wide range of other abilities in web3 and DeFi alike.

What voters can expect of us:
As Delegates of HOP protocol voters can expect that we’ll uphold the integrity and purpose of HOP governance, be active in HOP’s mission to bridge together as many scaling solutions as it can and pledge to be stewards of HOP protocol adoption in the broader DeFi community!

5 Likes