RFC: Renewal of the Hop Delegate Incentivization Trial (3rd Period)

I echo this view. This incentive mechanism seems to focus more on the tracking than the participation itself. Voting For hoping to see this improved for the next round.

I voted ā€œForā€ this but like most, would like to see delegate gas refunding on a more regular occurrence in a follow up proposal.

Would also like to see the voting participation automated. Perhaps a small grant could be made available for this.

The below response reflects the views of L2BEATā€™s governance team, composed of @kaereste and @Sinkas, and itā€™s based on the combined research, fact-checking, and ideation of the two.

Weā€™ll be voting in favor of the proposal during the temp check to signal our support for renewing the delegate incentives. However, we echo the concerns raised above and we want to see them addressed before an on-chain vote.

We should implement a simplified system to track delegatesā€™ participation both during votes on Snapshot or Tally and also in the forums and calls. Other DAOs have also worked on this (e.g. Arbitrum) and we can borrow from their setup, especially given the smaller size of Hopā€™s DAO. And with @Francom acting as the Head of DAO Ops, we should be able to handle a bit of manual tracking where needed without needing to introduce a whole new role.

We also agree that gas reimbursements should be denominated in ETH and not in HOP. @0xLev1 is working on an initiative for treasury diversification and perhaps the need for ETH for gas reimbursements should be taken into consideration.

I voted in favor of this proposal because I believe delegates are a huge component of DAO governance that should be adequately compensated for their efforts

I also agree with the criticism and skepticism, but for now have voted positively. Itā€™s nice that these have to renew regularly because it means we can be quite flexible and change things for the next iteration based on this very very valid feedback from @lefterisjp. In trying to solve the very problem we face (retaining high quality delegates) we are clearly doing the opposite.

We also need to simplify the formula. The whole thing should not be multiplied by some scalar. The current formula already has a scalar in it that should be increased to, in effect, multiply the incentives. @francom we can talk through this and see if we can simplify everything for the next renewal RFC.

1 Like